Location: Lafayette, Indiana; Spring House, Pennsylvania
Req ID: 2105988882W
Janssen R&D with Johnson and Johnson is recruiting for a Postdoctoral Fellow- Droplet-based HTE, DESI HTMS, and High Throughput Screening located in West Lafayette, IN and Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
A major challenge for drug discovery is the rapid synthesis, structural characterization and bioassay screening of potential drug candidates. Recently, technologies such as high throughput experimentation (HTE), high throughput mass spectrometry (HTMS) and high throughput bioassay screening (HTS) have been introduced to shorten the synthesis to screening discovery cycle. This Janssen Postdoctoral Fellow will explore and optimize a novel HTE/HTMS/HTS system that is being developed in the world-renowned laboratory of Professor Graham Cooks of Purdue University. The system is based on the latest desorption electrospray ionization (DESI) mass spectral ion source and allows synthesis, analysis and screening of tens of thousands of medicinal compounds in days vs. weeks or months via conventional approaches.
The main purpose of this position is to collaborate with the Cooks’ laboratory at Purdue University and with multidisciplinary project co-leaders at Janssen to identify, develop and apply novel droplet-based chemistry, high throughput mass spectral analysis and high throughput bioassay screening that would advance the scientific field and be impactful in support of the drug discovery efforts in the pharmaceutical industry.
The candidate would work initially (first 18 months) at Purdue University and assist in development and application of the high throughput platform under the mentorship of Prof. Cooks and in collaboration with the Cooks’ research group.
Additionally, the candidate would work at Janssen (final 6 months) to explore applications of high throughput systems in drug discovery research. During this postdoctoral fellowship, the candidate will have opportunities to visit and interact with Janssen scientists and learn about the cutting-edge drug discovery research.
- Perform research work in designated areas as agreed to by Janssen and Purdue research teams
- Prepare summary of research progress and manuscripts for publication
- Summarize and present data at internal and external meetings
- Required Minimum Education: PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related discipline
- Graduate level experience in mass spectrometry, organic chemistry or biochemistry is required
- Individual must have a mind-set of curiosity, creativity, collaboration and openness to diverse thinking.
- Candidate will also require a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Good communication skills (written and oral) are also required for report/manuscript writing and research presentations.
- Prefer candidate with strong knowledge of organic/medicinal chemistry, catalysis, high throughput experimentation (HTE), mass spectrometry and high throughput screening
- Experience with Waters MassLynx and Virscidian software
- Working knowledge of Python, MATLAB, R, or similar programming languages and tools
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)